Astragalus has been used in traditional chinese medicine for thousand of years. It is often combined with other herbs to strengthen the body against disease. Astragalus is an adaptogen, meaning it helps protect the body against various stresses, including physical, mental or emotional stress.
It is a perennial plant, about 16 to 36 inches tall that is native to the northern and eastern parts of china, as well as Mongolia and Korea. The root is the medicinal part of the plant and is usually harvested from 4-year-old-plants. The dried root is used medicinally.
Astragalus roots may be available in a variety of forms:
- Tincture (Liquid alcohol extract)
- Capsules and tablets
- Tea Blends
- Tropically for the skin
Do you feel run down when you are sick? Then astragalus tea is for you.
- Boost immune System: This tea to helps strengthen your immune system
- Helps enhance liver function
- Helps restore adrenal functions and in doing so helps you achieve hormonal balance which is important in both men and women as it may sort out issues of impotence and infertility.
- Helps balance body fluids and stabilizes body processes.
- Helps energize and revitalize the body
- Strengthens the whole cardiovascular system by improving blood building and lowering blood pressure by stimulating circulation.
- Prevent cold symptoms that gets you down
- Helps with respiratory conditions such as, bronchitis, pneumonia, whooping cough, asthma and chronic colds
- Helps improve digestion by lowering acid levels, assist with indigestion and help with stomach ulcers
Note: When taking drugs that suppress the immune system do not take astragalus, may interfere with this drugs. If you have an autoimmune disease, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, or take cyclophosphamide, a medication used to reduce the chances of rejection in transplant recipient, or corticosteroids, do not take astragalus. Also astragalus can make it harder for the body to get rid of lithium, so dangerously high levels of the drug could build up.